General Carl A. Spaatz was the First Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force and first Chairman of the CAP National Board.
ATTENTION SENIOR MEMBERS
Please visit our Spaatz Award Exam Administrator page.
HOW TO BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION
1. Pre-Requisite: Be a current CAP cadet, as shown in eServices.
Possess a CAP uniform and wear it properly.
Be capable of reciting the Cadet Oath from memory
(see CAPR 52-16 chapter 5 paragraph 2 and chapter 1 paragraph 4).
2. Understand the Exam Process. A helpful diagram explains the exam process. You'll need to request permission from your unit commander and wing commander (copy to your wing director of cadet programs) to attempt the exam. As a practical matter, do not expect to attempt the exam for at least 2 weeks after you make your request. Even if the wing commander approves your request, he or she will need time to appoint a proctor and then the proctor will need time to coordinate with you regarding the date, time, and location of the exam.
3. Leadership: Pass a 60-question, multiple-choice, closed-book leadership exam with a grade of 80% or higher, within a 60-minute time limit, based on Learn to Lead, volumes 1 through 4*; CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual; CAPR 52-16, Cadet Program Management, chapters 1 and 5 (June 2014 version); and the CAP Drill and Ceremonies Manual.
*As of 1 October 2014 the Leadership for the 21st Century edition of the exam is no longer available.
4. Aerospace: Pass a 60-question, multiple-choice, closed-book aerospace exam, with a 60-minute time limit, based on selected chapters of Aerospace: The Journey of Flight. See CAPR 52-16, Figure 5-1 (page 22).
5. Character: An essay written from a selection of moral leadership topics. National Headquarters evaluates the essay’s grammar, organization, and content using this grading critique. Cadets have 60 minutes to complete the essay, and may use a dictionary or spell-check. It is graded pass or fail. Cadets will receive their exam results via their senior member exam administrator within 10 days of submitting the essay. If 10 days have elapsed without receiving the results, cadets should talk with their exam administrator, and then if necessary, contact National Headquarters at email@example.com.
6. Activities: Participate actively.
7. Fitness: Pass the mile run, plus 2 of the 3 other events in the cadet physical fitness test, as shown below:
|Sit & Reach||28||29||29||30||33||34||36||40|
|Sit & Reach||31||32||34||36||38||41||39||40|
Fulfilling the promotion eligibility requirements above is only half the battle. You also need to show that you have some leadership skills. Look at the goals below and once in a while ask yourself how well you're doing in those areas.
|Attitude||Resilient; shows mental discipline in working to achieve long-term goals;|
|welcoming of change; has habit of continual self-improvement|
|Core ||Uses empathy; recognizes how Core Values relate to new and unfamiliar|
|Values||situations; makes sound and timely decisions independently|
|Communication ||Articulate; succinct; persuasive; varies message to fit audience; proficient in|
|Skills||explaining complex issues|
|Sense of ||Completes large projects with little supervision; follows and sets a command|
|Interpersonal ||Actively develops and mentors cadet officers; adapts leadership style to fit|
|Skills||situation; calm under pressure|
|Critical ||Sets long-term goals for the unit; imaginative and visionary; recognizes|
|Thinking||unit’s long-term needs; mentally agile when faced with unfamiliar problems|
|Delegation ||Directs multiple teams and manages multiple tasks; assigns people to right|
|Skills||jobs; delegates well and enables others to take charge|
Cadet Executive Officer/Deputy Commander
“Note Regarding Membership Rules: To attempt the Spaatz Award exam, cadets must be current members. If a cadet’s membership is about to lapse, the cadet should be sure to renew at least 72 hours before attempting the exam, otherwise the exam software may deny access to the exam materials.”
NHQ must receive either your completed CAPF 52-4 or your Squadron Commander can approve the promotion through the online promotion system.
For administrative questions regarding the Spaatz Award, please contact Sharon Jackson.