Neil Armstrong was a Navy test pilot and NASA astronaut who became the first man to set foot on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission in 1969.
HOW TO BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION
1. Pre-Requisite: Be a current CAP cadet, as shown in eServices.
Possess a CAP uniform and wear it properly.
Be capable of reciting the Cadet Oath from memory
(see R52-16 paragraph 5-2 and 1-3).
2. Leadership: (Learn To Lead) Pass an online test on Learn To Lead chapter 8, with a grade of 80% or higher, open book. This test includes multiple-choice questions and a section testing performance in drill and ceremonies. In addition, you must write a 300-500 word essay and present a 5 to 7 minute speech to the unit on one of the topics below. A senior member will evaluate the essay and speech using these critique forms.
3. Aerospace: No requirement.
4. Character: Participate in a character development forum
5. Activities: Participate actively
6. Fitness: Pass the mile run or shuttle run, plus 2 of the 3 other events in the cadet physical fitness test, as shown below:
|Sit & Reach||25||25||26||26||28||30||30||34|
|Sit & Reach||28||29||30||31||33||36||34||35|
Fulfilling the promotion eligibility requirements above is only half the battle. You also need to show that you have some leadership skills. Look at the goals below and once in a while ask yourself how well you're doing in those areas.
|Attitude||Maintains a positive attitude and encourages good attitudes in others;|
|does not flaunt rank or authority|
|Displays a commitment to the Core Values; promotes team spirit, professionalism, and good sportsmanship as a team leader|
|Proficient in informal public speaking (i.e., in giving directions to and training junior cadets)|
|Sense of |
|Enforces standards; trustworthy in supervising a small team and leading them in fulfillment of a series of simple tasks; given a plan, is able to carry it out|
|Guides and coaches junior cadets; recognizes when junior cadets need help; leads by example; is not a “boss”|
Cadet Flight Sergeant
Cadet First Sergeant