AEX for Teachers
The Civil Air Patrol is offering a very popular program free to its members that involves doing hands-on aviation and space-related activities with students. It is called AEX, and the acronym stands for “Aerospace Education EXcellence."
AEX Certificate Template
Once you have received your certificates, click the above title in order to open a pdf that allows you to enter the recipient's name, teacher's name, the name of the school, and the date. Always print a test page before actually using the official AEX certificate(s) provided by CAP! Make adjustments as needed after printing the test page(s).
Participants receive full-color books that feature national standards-based aerospace hands-on activities. The requirements are simple: complete six aerospace activities and one two-hour or longer field experience (space day, trip to the airport or museum, etc.) to earn a beautiful wooden teacher plaque plus color certificates for your students. The activities are designed to fit into any curriculum. Schools' state-approved curriculum may replace or supplement the AEX activities created for this program. (Lesson plans for supplemental activities need to be attached to final reporting form.) AEX program activities should take place from Oct. 1 - Sept. 30 of each year.
All of the projects featured in AEX I (Volumes 1 and 2) (grades K-5) or AEX II (Volumes 1 and 2) (grades 6-12) are very “teacher-friendly” and involve readily available, low-cost materials.
Steps to participate in the AEX Program:
- Make sure your membership is current. If you are not a member, click "Join as AEM" for membership information and to learn how to join. If you need to renew your membership, contact email@example.com.
- Register to participate by completing the AEX registration online at CAP's eServices. Registration is required for each year (Oct. 1 - Sept. 30) you choose to participate. If you have never used eServices before, you will need to set up a free eServices account. Click "first time users click here" when you get to the eServices login page, and follow the instructions provided. If you get directed to a site that shows any type of "warning," please continue. You are on the right track. The world of eServices will be available to you.
- Once you are in eServices, click "AEX" in the right column heading entitled "My Favorites." Then, click "Apply for AEX," which is located in the left column.
- Teach 6 aerospace-related activities. You may select activities from the AEX books provided to you by CAP, or you may use your own lessons. In addition to teaching 6 aerospace-related activities, engage students in a special 2-hour aerospace activity such as making and launching rockets, going on an aerospace-related field trip, or presenting other aerospace-oriented activities that total 2 hours. (You may teach an additional two lessons to meet the 2-hour activity requirement.)
- Once you have completed the program (which should not be later than Sept. 30), go to eServices at http://www.capnhq.gov and click "AEX" in the right column heading entitled "My Favorites." Then, click "AEX Award Report." Complete and submit the "AEX Award Report" at least 3 weeks prior to the date you plan on distributing student certificates. (You may continue teaching AEX lessons during these three weeks if you need to.)
- You should receive your AEX teacher plaque and student certificates within 3 weeks of submitting your award report. In the event you do not receive your awards within 3 weeks of submitting your report, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adams State University in Colorado offers graduate credit to instructors who complete the AEX Program. For details, send an email inquiry to the university's extended studies department at email@example.com.
In the event that you do not fully complete the requirements for successful completion of the AEX Program, no notification is necessary. Simply register again during the next school year, and try again!
E-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Correction in AEX I - Activity 13 - Goddard Rocket fin template and fin diagram.
Correction in AEX II Volume 2 - Activity 5 - Building the Space Shuttle -Space Shuttle template